3.15.2009

We're All OK



Via Knight Cat

I was a HOT MESS today. Seriously, out of control. Late, unprepared, unfocused and all over the place. Plus I totally got my ass kicked by my professor. Oh well, these things happen. I've recently begun to accept that it's okay to be messy.
I used to think I had to be perfect all the time and was so scared of making mistakes that I just did nothing at all. It wasn't about personal failure but the need to be what I thought everyone wanted me to be. However, I've recently discovered that all the things I denied in myself are the things I love and want. I am sensitive, crazy, creative and unrestrained. I am imperfect, unpredictable, and unstructured. These traits were always considered negative in my family, where responsibility, structure and control are imperative. Emotions were not discussed or shown. I'm not trying to make my family sound cold - we all loved each other but went through some hard times which called for stoicism. I have grown a lot since then and am resolved to be myself and truly embrace every quirky, dysfunctional "imperfection".
Doing what's expected and accepting is B-O-R-I-N-G. The best things come from experimentation and mistakes - Hello? Remember Penicillin? Anyway, I don't want to get to touchy-feely with you all nor am I quite sure how I ended up writing on this tangent. Oh ya - my hot mess of a day. Anyway, just a friendly PSA: Fly your freak flag!
In this spirit, I invite anyone to post the insanely, quirky things they do. You know those secret habits that everyone teases you about but you refuse to stop. I know you all have them and I bet they're not as strange as you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment